Defending Doubting Thomas

 

Service of Worship

Eastern Parkway United Methodist Church

April 11, 2021

Rev. Natalie Bowerman, Pastor

 

Let us pray:

Holy God, we confess our doubts.
When our childhood understandings fall away,
we feel naked.
When our long-held beliefs seem to crumble,
we feel lost.
When our convictions are questioned,
we feel ashamed.
Guide us into right paths, O God.
Guide our feet into the way of peace.
guide our hands to care for others.
guide our hearts to love our neighbors.
Call us back to You, O Christ, and renew our faith.
When the ground is unsteady,
loving God, put us back on right paths
by doing justice, loving kindness,
and walking humbly with You. Amen.

Assurance

The Lord is our chosen portion and our cup.
God binds us in, counsels our minds and instructs our hearts.
God helps us to stand firm for justice, mercy, and peace.
When we fall, God lifts us up, forgives us,
and remembers our sins no more. Amen.


John 20: 19-31

Jesus Appears to the Disciples

19 When it was evening on that day, the first day of the week, and the doors of the house where the disciples had met were locked for fear of the Jews, Jesus came and stood among them and said, “Peace be with you.” 20 After he said this, he showed them his hands and his side. Then the disciples rejoiced when they saw the Lord. 21 Jesus said to them again, “Peace be with you. As the Father has sent me, so I send you.” 22 When he had said this, he breathed on them and said to them, “Receive the Holy Spirit. 23 If you forgive the sins of any, they are forgiven them; if you retain the sins of any, they are retained.”

Jesus and Thomas

24 But Thomas (who was called the Twin[a]), one of the twelve, was not with them when Jesus came. 25 So the other disciples told him, “We have seen the Lord.” But he said to them, “Unless I see the mark of the nails in his hands, and put my finger in the mark of the nails and my hand in his side, I will not believe.”

26 A week later his disciples were again in the house, and Thomas was with them. Although the doors were shut, Jesus came and stood among them and said, “Peace be with you.” 27 Then he said to Thomas, “Put your finger here and see my hands. Reach out your hand and put it in my side. Do not doubt but believe.” 28 Thomas answered him, “My Lord and my God!” 29 Jesus said to him, “Have you believed because you have seen me? Blessed are those who have not seen and yet have come to believe.”

The Purpose of This Book

30 Now Jesus did many other signs in the presence of his disciples, which are not written in this book. 31 But these are written so that you may come to believe[b] that Jesus is the Messiah,[c] the Son of God, and that through believing you may have life in his name.

 

A Message

“Defending Doubting Thomas”

 

Natalie

Today I represent the prosecution in the case of People who Believe in the Resurrection vs. Thomas. I’m here to prove he’s guilty of the crime of doubt. You all are the jury, and you get to decide whether you think the defendant is guilty or innocent. Over here is the defendant. Will you please state your name for the court?

 

Sean

Thomas

 

Natalie

Do you go by any nicknames or aliases, Thomas?

 

Sean

Sometimes people call me “didymus” or “the twin”.

 

Natalie

That’s it? You don’t have any other nicknames?

 

Sean

Uh…no

 

Natalie

Are you sure? You don’t have any other nicknames that directly implicate you in this crime?

 

Sean

No, I don’t think I do.

 

Natalie

Then how do you explain Exhibit A: 2,000 years of people of faith, and the Bible itself, calling you Doubting Thomas?

 

Sean

Ok, look, I can’t help what other people say about me. I’m sure you haven’t liked all the names people have called you. I’m not guilty of doubt. 2,000 years of Christians are guilty of being judgmental.

 

Natalie

We’ll see about that. What would you say your occupation is, Thomas?

 

Sean

I’m a disciple of Jesus the Christ.

 

Natalie

Would you say you are good at your job?

 

Sean

I would. Jesus and I have been through a lot together, and I’ve stood by him no matter what. In fact, I’ve stayed faithful to Jesus at times that the other eleven weren’t so sure. When Jesus went to Bethany to raise Lazarus from the dead, I was the one who encouraged everyone else to go. When Jesus told us that “in his Father’s house there are many rooms”, I was the one who wanted to know how to get to that house. But does anyone call me “Inquisitive Thomas”? Or “Brave Thomas”? Or “Encouraging Thomas”? No. I get stuck with “Doubting Thomas”.

 

Natalie

And you would call that an unfair accusation?

 

Sean

Yes, I sure would. Nathaneal wasn’t sure he even wanted to be a disciple because he said “Can anything good come out of Nazareth?” Does anyone call him “Hometown Dissin’ Nate”? When Jesus fed the 5,000 Phillip discouraged him because he said all that bread would cost a lot of money. Does anyone call him “Penny Pinchin’ Phil”? Peter messes up a lot and he gets “The Rock Upon Which Christ Builds the Church.” Even Judas didn’t get any nicknames that stuck! But I ask for a little proof of the greatest miracle to ever happen and I get branded as “Doubting Thomas” for all of time. I’m certainly not saying I’m perfect. I didn’t always understand what Jesus was up to. And I’m ashamed to admit that, like the rest of the disciples, when Jesus was on the cross I fled. That was very wrong. I’m sorry for that. But I came back, and I’ve tried as hard as I can to do right by Jesus and my faith in him ever since.

 

Natalie

Let’s go to the day in question: The very first Easter Sunday. Mary Magdalene testified that she had seen Jesus resurrected, and the other ten remaining disciples told you they had also seen Jesus. And yet not only did you not believe eleven eye witnesses, but you also demanded they prove what they saw. What do you call that if not doubt?

 

Sean

Did I really do anything that was so bad? I’d been sitting in that room with the other ten for three days, and Jesus decides to show up right when I take a bathroom break. And everyone else touches the nail holes in his hands, and the gash in his side. Do you really think the other ten believed without that proof? They sure didn’t believe Mary, or else why were they all holed up in that room? Why weren’t they out looking for Jesus? I asked for the exact proof they got, and as soon as I had it I believed! Yet Jesus lectured me anyway. No fair, dude.

 

Natalie

Do you really think Jesus said “Blessed are those who have not seen and yet have come to believe” just to be unfair? Do you really think Jesus used that encounter as a big teaching opportunity about doubt if you weren’t, you know, doubting?

 

Sean

Look, I get it. I know that day didn’t make me look good. And I know that that one story is all anyone remembers me for. Sometimes it just works out like that with people—we make snap judgments, and we don’t get to know one another’s hearts. But that’s why I don’t worship people—I worship Jesus. I know how most people have looked at that moment when I asked for proof that Jesus was really alive—you’re supposed to just believe things about Jesus without any proof at all. Bad Thomas. But let me ask the prosecution a question—what is doubt?

 

Natalie

There’s actually 2 uses of the word “doubt”. One is as a noun. The dictionary defines the noun as “a feeling of uncertainty or lack of conviction”. The second use is as a verb. The dictionary defines the verb as “to be afraid”.

 

Sean

So, look, maybe you’re right. Maybe I am guilty of doubting. But what I’ll ask our jury out here to decide for themselves is this: Is doubt such a bad thing? Have you guys been calling me “Doubting Thomas” for 2,000 years because you think I’m so bad? Or have you called me that because I’m really just like you?

 

Natalie

Now Thomas, I don’t know if I understand your point.

 

Sean

Sure you do. And so does the jury. Maybe I doubted Jesus on an important day. But is there really a person here who never has? I know it’s not what we want to tell people about our faith, and it’s certainly not what we want to confess to in a church, but do any of us really walk around with perfect, unwavering conviction? We all have weaknesses. And Jesus doesn’t love us because we’re perfect. He loves us because we are. Maybe I responded with fear and uncertainty when Jesus hoped that I would believe the Good News right away. But what do you think is better—believing the story of Jesus’ resurrection immediately and having a faith that’s shallow, or taking your time to believe it when you’re ready, and having a faith with depth?

 

Natalie

Are you trying to say that doubt can be a good thing?

 

Sean

I am. Doubt is just something that goes hand in hand with following Jesus. I’ve seen Jesus do some pretty unbelievable things—turn water into wine, feed 5,000 people with 2 fish and five loaves of bread, walk on water, calm the storm, raise a dead man, heal the blind. Sometimes I’ve questioned my own eyes. Sometimes he’s made me feel afraid—if he can do all that, what else can he do? Am I really safe in the company of a man who can suspend the laws of nature? But every time I’ve decided to keep following him anyway, and every time my faith has gotten stronger because of it. Sometimes I’ve asked myself some hard questions—how is this all possible? How can anything Jesus teaches be true? But when I bring those questions to Jesus, he helps me. And I think I’m showing him how much I trust him if I’m willing to let him see the cracks in my faith. It’s not easy being a disciple. Sometimes I wonder if a sane person would turn around and run in the other direction. Is that doubt, too? Maybe. But, ultimately, what’s more important about me, and about all of us in this room—that we doubt, or that we keep trying to do better?

 

Natalie

We’ll have to let the jury think about that.

 

Together

Amen.

 

I invite you to receive the benediction:

The help of the saving Christ,
the wisdom of the Living God,
and the support of the loving Spirit,
will be with you
every step of the way, now and always.
Amen!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Peace Like a River

Women of the Bible, Part 3: Abigail